A mildly sweet afternoon tea incorporating a serve of vegetables.
Canola oil spray
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
500g carrots, grated
30g desiccated coconut
30g pecans OR walnuts, chopped
½ cup apple juice
1 cup low fat milk
200g reduced fat cream cheese
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Lightly spray a loaf tin with oil and line with baking paper.
- Sift flours, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a large bowl. Add carrot, coconut, nuts and sultanas and mix well.
- In a jug, beat eggs. Add apple juice and mix well. Then add milk, and stir until well combined.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed. Pour batter into prepared loaf tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool cake in tin for a few minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, sugar and lemon zest together until smooth. Spread mix evenly over cake. Decorate with nuts, grated carrot or lemon zest if desired.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Good nutrition is essential for the health and wellbeing of young children. We are proud to partner with NAQ Nutrition, the Qld Division of Nutrition Australia, by producing recipes that are healthy, delicious and aligned with the Australian Dietary Guidelines.